That's entertainment

I recently became what could be the last mom on earth (or at least in all of our playgroups) to get a smartphone. I'll admit that I already love it and not just because it makes phone calls, which I can only assume it does since I don't talk on the phone that much. It's got my email, text messages and of course, apps. All things designed to keep me busy should I get to school pick up early, have to wait in the parking lot for Costco to open or just feel like vegging out on the sofa.


But this morning it found a new use, one I swore I wouldn't let happen: preschooler entertainment. That's right, the G-man watched a video while eating breakfast. I have since tried to deny this. When he saw my phone later in the day and demanded a viewing, I played it off saying that it wasn't my phone that did that; it was daddy's. He didn't buy it (damn smart kid) but did take the bait when I said that only daddy could make it happen. Hopefully, he'll forget and there won't be a repeat. Or at least, too many repeats.

You see, I've always been a little uncomfortable when I see little kids glued to their parents phones. Do they really need that? You'd be surprised at how many of the G-man's friends already know how to play games on these devices, know how to work the apps and beg for their favorite videos.

In looking at the apps for kids last night, I was surprised to see how many of them were designed to just give your kid the phone and walk away. Some are marketed as ways to keep them calm in the car or brag about how you can go out in public without letting your child even realize they are there.

A playgroup mom recently got a fancy phone and when we dined in a restaurant she immediately brought it out as the kids were sitting down. Granted, we had 4 moms and 5 kids, all 3 and under so it was definitely a bit chaotic. And, for the most part, the children were instantly mesmerized (G-man was the only one that didn't know what was going on). She was understandably proud to have brought peace in the land and talked about how it was her newest favorite thing - she, her husband and daughter could all go out to eat without any drama as long as the princess was watching Mickey Mouse. Imagine that! They could have an adult conversation. Eat their food. Remain clean. And hold their heads up high upon departure. All things that elude our experiences right now.

But it made me wonder, do 3 year olds really need constant entertainment? Is an outing really a success if the kiddo doesn't make a peep because it's staring at a screen? No.

I already hate when restaurants have televisions in them. Sports bars, ok, I get that. Everything else? No reason. And yes, I get sucked into watching them, even if it's golf. They are so there, so in your face.

I understand that little ones get bored. After all, the G-man never stops moving and never stops needing something new. Fish have longer attention spans. Too often I see products marketed to parents to entertain their children every second of the day, and a lot of them are to entertain them without parental interaction. If we think he might need it, we bring crayons or books to read to G-man when we go out. But most of the time, it's sink or swim.

It seems everyone has a DVD player in their car, not for journeys across country, but literally for trips 6 minutes away. Can today's children not look out the window for that long? Or talk about their day? I've seen cars at preschool with the video already running before the kid gets in. Instead, we play "find the red car," "watch for train tracks" and listen to silly songs in the car. Sure, G-man gets antsy. Oh well. He's still strapped in; except for our sanity sometimes, there's not too much damage he can do. And yes, I understand playing his CDs is still kid entertainment, but I feel like he's not checked out, he can chat with us or at least peek outside.

I have nothing against these things some of the time. It's just that nowadays, they're expected all of the time. Preschoolers are naturally ADHD; don't you think the barrage of constant media/screen-time entertainment fuels that?

The temptation is great; the G-man does command my attention on a continual basis. Yes, I want a break! But I need to keep it in check. Using our imaginations is important for both of us. Downtime is, too. There are so many ways to keep ourselves entertained that don't involve technology. Of course there are walks, drawing, building train tracks at home but there are things to do when we are out, like watching buses go past before our food is served, thinking of things that start with the letter T as we wait in the parking lot while picking up daddy and simply jumping off a curb before our friends get to an event.

That said, G-man gets to watch some TV with me during the day. He loves breakfast with daddy and his YouTube videos. And I did download some apps that I'm saving for a total breakdown moment. Once that happens, the floodgates will be open and there may be no turning back. Time will tell.

*steps off soapbox*

Catherine V  – (07 April, 2011 06:57)  

Great post, Debi! Personally, I'm hoping to keep it old school, too, with dabblings of technology mixed in. The one thing I'd really like to encourage parents who are really into babies-technology-gadgets-in-public ... turn off the volume, PLEASE. There is nothing more distracting, rude, and unrelaxing than being in public and being forced to listen to annoying noises, giggles, and other baby-friendly noises spewing from these electronic devices clutched in grubby little hands. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now, too. We'll see how well I do in, oh, a couple of months. :)

Post a Comment