An open note to the library

Dear public library,


I love that you have a children's section. I love that you have a family restroom in the children's section. However, I do not love the type of handle/lock on that bathroom door!

Am I just a stickler for design? A door handle crackpot? No, just a mom who tried to pee with a toddler running loose in the bathroom.

For the record, he was loose because the straps on the wall seat are broken. Now yes, I should have anticipated this and hauled the stroller in, blocking young patrons' view at story time, running over hands and contraband crackers, but alas, he can walk and I think it's nice to let him.

However, in this case, being able to walk was a negative. 

For some reason, you've selected a latch handle for the inside of the stall door. Sure, it's easy for little kids to open on their own. Too easy. He's only 19 months, barely grasps the concept and he solved that mystery in a few short moments. While I thank you for this chance for him to use his real-world skills, what really bothers me is the lock on that door.

The issue? When the handle turns, the lock releases!

Oh, and I don't know if you have you noticed, but the toilet is not only directly in front of the door, it's about a football field length away from it. Do you know what happens when a curious toddler, or just one desperate to escape, turns the handle when mommy is, uh, busy? Yeah, no one has fun. 

What should have been a 30-second routine play turned into a 3-minute event plus mad dash x3 in an effort to preserve my dignity and finally pee.

So, to recap: love the idea, hate the execution.

- G-man's mom

Post a Comment