My baby is cuter than your baby

Now that I've sufficiently pissed you off, there's more. 


Read the title out loud. That's right, my baby is cuter than your baby. My kid is cuter than your kid. See, when you say it, it's your (my) baby. Because what parent doesn't think their little one is the cutest thing...EVER?

We've all seen babies who could have used a little, uh, more time in the looks line. Yet, their parents don't know that. They know their wee kiddo is beautiful. Awesome. So freakin' cute it hurts. 

Sometimes, I get so tired of the moms on message boards who seem to comment on articles just to brag about their wunderkid. She's walking at 3 months! He's only one, but reading at a 5th-grade level! I am so overwhelmed by the twins getting early admission to Harvard in-utero! While only a few annoying moms post about amazing, measure-able achievements, all of us can take heart in the subjective knowledge of having the cutest thing to ever be on the planet.

I think it would be really interesting to see what G-man looks like to someone who is not so close to him. Like maybe I could sneak up on him one day and catch a moment off-guard where I don't think as his mother but as an objective stranger. Is it possible? I often look at photos of myself and think, seriously? That's what I look like? Kind of like hearing your voice on an answering machine. But I feel I won't ever be able to take off my sweetie-colored glasses when I see my own li'l guy.

I can't believe that after 20 months I am still overcome with how cute I think he is. No matter what he's doing, be it riding a toy, running around naked, covering himself in donut or only walking around the front yard, I want to capture every second and pore over each shot for the source of his perfection.

Funny how this weird vision/realization only occurs with our babies. Love-blindness doesn't transcend anything else. We all know who has the hot husband. Which friend is the most fabulous. Who's bringing a date that makes yours fade into the background. 

Yet, we don't care. We chose our closest people and love them for their flaws and the one that we don't pick, that the universe simply grants to our care, is the one that we are destined to photograph their every move, burp, smile and pout. 

And let's face it, G-man is damn cute.

Samsmama  – (27 August, 2009 14:48)  

I was just discussing this with another blogger the other day. Whenever there's a picture of a kid posted, everybody comments on how cute he/she is. I asked her if she ever found it hard to do that, and she admitted she did.

That being said, completely unbiased, G-man is a doll!

Post a Comment