Toddler time

I have been accused numerous times by my husband as being pokey and as a procrastinator. While I don't entirely disagree, sometimes it's really a matter of priorities. Sure, I do put some things off (I should be doing laundry right now) but I've discovered I also simply have my own flow.


Recently, there was an article in a parenting magazine about how the author decided to spend one day on Toddler Time. Instead of driving the schedule all day, she let her child set the pace. As I read it, I realized, I'm on Toddler Time, but it's of my own choosing.

For example, when Scott gets G-man ready to go out, it's a methodical journey of diaper, clothes, out the door, in the car and down the road. When I do it, the progression isn't quite so smooth. While changing the diaper, we may be interrupted by a tickle fight or tummy kisses. Before anything else goes on, perhaps G-man asks for a hug so we stand there at the table doing a little cuddle, possibly sans diaper. That might lead to a little running around with the freedom of bare skin. Then it's finally back on the table to finish the job. Or not. Maybe I follow his bare back to the living room and let him climb on the chair to look outside. Then while he gazes, pants and shirt go on at last.

If he is having a good time looking out the window, we might delay leaving the house for a few more minutes so he can watch birds. Sure, I'm running late now, but there's worse things in life.

Once in the car, we might play a game in the back seat as he gets buckled in. Or I sneak in some more mommy smooches. Or G-man chooses that time for peek-a-boo. We're definitely moving at a different pace and it's nice.

Of course, there are days when I whip everything out as fast as possible and we're down the driveway as if being chased by cheetahs. And, there are many instances where I really am not controlling the pace and am desperate to get a move on yet I'm confronted with an incredibly uncooperative toddler.

For the most part, though, we do stop to smell the flowers in our life. Those extra seconds build our bond together and his bond with the world around him. And if it takes me twice as long to reach the end goal, so be it.

However, for a real lollygagger, you should see the dog on our walks. If it was up to him, we wouldn't just stop and smell the roses, we'd inspect each blade of grass in the whole neighborhood. Yeesh. 

Post a Comment