Parent's Day In

Dear G-man,


First off, let me tell you how proud I am of how easily you have adapted back into the weekly routine of going to Parent's Day Out. Your utter indifference on the fact I am leaving you for a few hours simply means I'm raising an independent boy. As you wriggle from my arms, your race to explore the toys stacked so neatly on the shelves for later shows your inquisitive mind. And your disdain for the offerings of security items, like your sippy cup and lawnmower card, proves how confident you are with yourself while the dismissive wave good-bye means that you trust I'm coming back.

Bravo.

I really am thrilled that you are so happy there and I trust the fine teachers to provide a safe, fun environment.

But guess what? While I miss you, I may love Parent's Day Out even more than you do!

Ever wonder what I do for those six fleeting hours?

8:40 am - leave parking lot and drive home with the windows down and the radio up

8:50 am - arrive home, check my email, recklessly leaving the door open to the non-babyproofed office

8:55 am - retrieve the hidden animal crackers, tuck in to handfuls and surf the web

9:05 am - take a shower, a loooooong shower, complete with leg shaving and full rinse and towel off

9:20 am - turn tv on while getting dressed, do not learn anything about sign language or farm animals

10:00 am - 12:00 pm - attend meeting for work in clean clothes, do not wipe anyone else's nose

12:15 pm - arrive home, do not lock screen door behind me, keep baby gate open

12:30 pm - more animal crackers

12:40 pm - start making tonight's dinner, leave cabinets wide open for my convenience

12:50 pm - eat brownie batter out of the bowl, leave oven unlocked

12:52 pm - open fridge without having to shield the juice inside

1:00 pm - finally clean the breakfast dishes and tidy up the kitchen without anyone attached to my leg

1:05 pm - walk by open basement door, don't close it

1:30 pm - clean my bathroom, including replacing the toilet paper someone unrolled yesterday

1:50 pm - embark on a search for my comb after you so nicely put it away somewhere it a few weeks ago

2:00 pm - abandon search for comb, put hair in pony tail again

2:02 pm - settle down for some quick reading

2:12 pm - close the gate, check the cabinets, shut the basement door, lock the stove, pick up small items

2:15 pm - leave to pick you up, can't wait to see your smiling face!

Looking forward to next Wednesday.

Love, mommy

Post a Comment