Hooray for play group

Before I had the G-man, the thought of play groups, play dates and other kid activity things caused me to shudder. But he's supposed to do things like that to get used to other kids, and for his sake, I sucked up my reservations (visions of minivans, soccer mom chit-chat and endless, boring small talk) and started his social calendar.


And did he appreciate it? He couldn't have cared less. But me, oh my! What a revelation to find the amazing parents that have become my friends. I have to admit, I've gotten way more out of these relationships than he has so far.

So, my fellow play group mommies, thank you for:

1. allowing me to attempt to kill you every week with my baking (non)skills

2. watching my child at the last minute so I can attend a meeting, take the dog to the vet or make a phone call

3. understanding when I'm insanely late for our fun

4. letting G-man mooch your snacks and steal your child's drink

5. not flinching when a banana is mashed into your floor by my kiddo

6. not mentioning when I show up in something that's obviously not clean

7. ditto for when G-man does the same

8. letting me throw G-man's dookie diapers in your trash even when they need a hazmat symbol

9. allowing us to borrow your toys when a grand meltdown is imminent if we don't get to take them home

10. not kicking me out when we severely overstay our welcome after play group is over so I can talk to an adult

11. continuing to invite me to lunch even when you know I'll say no (new budget!)

12. pretending my dog did not just eat your child's snack

You ladies, friends and just-like-family have been an amazing source of inspiration, support and enjoyment. We have many different opinions on child-rearing, politics, entertainment and activities yet we've all come together to form amazing bonds based on the love of our children, but built with the respect and kindness we all share. 

I don't know about that whole It Takes a Village thing, but at the least, it takes a play group.

Post a Comment