The answer key

Is it so much to ask to be right? Not just that, but to KNOW I am right? Because this mommy thing involves a lot more guessing than I signed up for and way less confirmation that my guess is on track. I mean, I don't even get a hot/cold system response when I make a decision. That's so unfair.


I don't mean I have to be right all the time, but that would be nice. I just want a simple pass/fail from time to time.

As strange as it may seem, I LIKE to be evaluated. I want to know where I stand. Grade me, grade me! And yes, I get a total rush when it's positive. I think that's why I was an accounting major: audits, yes/no concepts, and the chance at complete objectivity on every project. (full disclosure: I promptly went into the la-la-land of complete subjectivity by choosing a career in marketing/advertising the moment I graduated.)

Remember when we were little and the teacher answer key book was the most amazing thing in the world? Ah to know it all. Or be able to fake it by simply flipping a page. How come kids don't come with that?

In previous posts I've lamented on the lack of a G-man manual. I get it, we're on our own to figure him out. But hey, how about a little props when I get it right? A motivational nudge that I'm going down the correct path would be a nice touch.

Take the whole daycare/PDO thing. What's best? Home provider or formal school/organization? Both have their good points. Both have their bad points. None of these points seem to be adding up to anything! Not even airline miles. Stretch this concept out to preschool (preview! post on that coming up soon.) and I'm adrift in a sea of morning only schools, all-day schools, X days a week, montessori vs. traditional vs. keeping him in PDO vs. doing nothing vs. ice cream. The G-man will always choose ice cream, but I'm pretty sure that is not the final answer.

Everyone says there's no right answer, blah, blah, blah, it's what you are comfortable with, blah, blah, blah, it's what's best for your child. Got it. G-man, I just need your personal answer key.

Seriously, when do I know what's best? My maternal instinct only goes so far and some of these situations don't give off a reading at all. I feel that this is all a big trick and I'll only know if I did the wrong thing after the fact (like he's 30 and telling his therapist that he would be a brilliant artificial flower researcher instead of a sub-par monkey impersonator if he had just gone to preschool one year later and one day longer) and the real joke is that I'll never know if I did the right thing.

Awesome.

Post a Comment