Go, go, go!

Ooh, this has the potential to not be good. And will definitely test the squeamish limits. Our hall closet now holds a box with...a pediatric enema. It's still in the closet, but could be called in to the game as early as tomorrow. 


To be honest, it got the call up this morning after a $30 trip to the pediatrician's office resulted in the direction to "clean him out." You see, the G-man is having some issues. Specifically, pooping issues. It's been going on for a while and I've consulted the doctor, the pharmacist, a host of friends, a nurse at the doctor's office via phone, the nice teachers at Parents Day Out, and back to the doctor again (although our primary wasn't in so I think we got a nurse practitioner).

The good news, there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong. Aside from the incredible straining and pain he has when he attempts - and infrequently succeeds - to go, that is. No blockage. No fever. No infection. Looks good, sounds good. But then the bad news is, there's nothing wrong. He's just having issues.

I've increased the amount of fiber in his diet to epic proportions. Remember that SNL ad for Colon Blow? He could star in it. I reduced his dairy intake, increased fruits and veggies, spent tons of time researching ideas online. He's had Karo in his drinks. He's tried a stool softener. We got a prescription for some other liquid last week that's supposed to draw water into his bowels. I've even let the suppository fairy (wow, that gig must suck) visit a few times. And yet, the problem persists.

Watching him try to go is hard on whoever is around (but I know it's way worse for him). He had an episode at Hy-Vee that lasted, well, forever. I thought we were going to have to leave the store but he finally calmed down in the frozen foods aisle of the health market. 

As his mom, it's my job to help him feel better. So off to the doctor we went.

A trip to the drugstore, a bottle of Miralax and a Pedia-Lax enema in a box later, we arrived home. The Miralax seemed simple - except you have to dissolve it in water and he's not big on drinking on command. It took 4 hours for him to finish the cup I put it in. But it's in his tummy now.

The big news is, he pooped! Three times this afternoon. I know it wasn't a huge amount, but it made me think. Do we need the enema? Should he really get it if things have started to move? I'll admit, I'd like an excuse to not do it. We have to wrestle him into a specific position, insert the product, and then, get this, keep him in that position for 1-5 minutes! I can't even get him to be still for a diaper change. How will this work?

So for one more night, we're taking a wait and see attitude (notice I said we this time - I'm not doing this alone). If he continues to show improvement, I'll let him clean himself out on his own time. If not, well, tomorrow will be a night to remember. Or forget. Probably forget.

Post a Comment