Safety first

Today is warm with a strong wind, quite reminiscent of the spring day a few years ago when an unattended candle, open door and stack of mail combined to start a fire in my kitchen.* Coincidentally, this morning I purchased a Sensy - a device that warms scented wax with a 25-watt bulb to make your home smell like you don't have a toddler, two cats and a dog.


One of the selling points of the Sensy - other than no flame - is that the wax gets warm, but not hot. This is great if you have a kid that likes to stick his hand in everything just to see what happens. 

With each new addition, my house gets a little more "proofed". When the cats came, I learned to move breakables away from places they could walk, perch or jump and to never leave butter out uncovered. The dog resulted in books moved to high shelves, electric cords unplugged when not in use and never leaving peanut butter out uncovered. 

With the G-man, we did the usual stuff - cabinet locks, toilet locks, oven locks. At any given moment I'm either locked in or out of something in my house. But it still amazes me the things he wants to get into. And really, it's more about protecting them from him than the other way around. The remote control? Broken. Sunglasses? Broken. Bottle of Ensure? Broken (that was impressive). Plus, numerous toys, household goods and sundries are scratched, damaged or on their way to being broken.

So knowing that while my new Sensy could break, he wouldn't get burned if he messed with it made me feel better about my purchase. Plus an experienced user told me that if a dog got tangled up in the electrical cord, knocked over the unit and managed to get wax on itself, the walls and the carpet, it was all easy to clean up. And don't put the rags you use to clean it up in the wash with other laundry. Good to know. 

*I was outside with the pets and honestly thought that someone was enjoying their fireplace at an odd time when I turned around to see the flames in my window. Neither Tino-the-wonder-pup nor the save-your-own-fur cats alerted me to anything out of the ordinary.

Post a Comment